LEDNet policy positions
Ahead of the publication of the Government’s Net Zero Strategy, we worked with the coalition partners to produce a paper, outlining why it is essential that local authorities play a central role and how national government can start to work with local authorities. The coalition recognises that although some reduction in carbon emissions has been made by the power sector, Government must focus on decarbonising sectors such as housing and transport which requires behavioural change as well as the delivery of low carbon solutions,
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, in partnership with the Association of Directors of Public Health (ADPH) London we revised our joint position statement on air quality and health, to set out how we should respond to the challenge of air pollution, based on our expertise and the available evidence.
The Blueprint for Accelerating Climate Action and Green Recovery at Local Level, first published in July 2020, was produced together with our climate coalition partners (ADEPT, Ashden, Friends of the Earth, Grantham Institute at Imperial College, Greenpeace UK, Place-Based Climate Action Network at LSE and Solace). The blueprint was revised in December 2020 to address the climate and ecological emergencies within the Covid-19 context, with a call to all local authorities to support this initiative to secure more powers and resources for councils.
In November 2019 LEDNet and London Councils' TEC met to discuss issues around climate change. The meeting acknowledged the need to act on climate change and set out an ambitious set of joint programmes that will support boroughs to deliver their targets.
In February 2019, LEDNet and TEC met to discuss issues surrounding air quality and waste and resources, agreeing a joint position statement which includes a series of priorities to tackle air quality issues and reserve resources.
In June 2018, LEDNet produced a position paper on London's resources and waste system and recommended that London's approach should prioritise reducing the volume of waste and achieve a more circular economy.
Response to consultations
- TEC-LEDNet joint letter to Minister Rebecca Pow on DRS, EPR and Consistency, July 2021
- TEC-LEDNet joint response to Defra's second round of waste consultations on Consistency in Household and Business Recycling in England, July 2021
- TEC-LEDNet joint response to Defra’s second round of waste consultations on Extended Producer Responsibility for Packaging and Deposit Return Scheme, June 2021
- LEDNet's response to the Waste and Resources Sector Deal Consultation, October 2019
- TEC-LEDNet joint response to Defra Waste Consultations on Reforming UK Packaging Producer Responsibility System, Deposit Return Scheme and Consistency in Household and Business Recycling Collections, May 2019
- LEDNet's response to consultation of banning distribution and sales of straw, buds and stirrers, December 2018
- LEDNet commissioned Keep Britain Tidy to produce, 'Understanding and tackling fly-tipping in London', July 2018
- LEDNet response to the HM Treasury consultation on taxing single use plastics, May 2018
- LEDNet response to the consultation on the new draft London Plan, March 2018
- LEDNet developed Waste Management Planning Advice for New Flatted Properties with ReLondon, published in 2017
- LEDNet commissioned Eunomia to produce a Guide to Improving Waste Management in the Domestic Rented Sector, with Resource London, published in 2016